Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Liberty Memorial






Across the street from Union Station stands the Liberty Memorial and National World War I Museum. The Liberty Memorial, located in Kansas City, Missouri, is a memorial to the fallen soldiers of World War I and houses the National World War I Museum. Ground was broken in November of 1921 and the memorial was completed and dedicated in November of 1926. In 2006 the memorial was declared a National Historic Landmark.

The memorial grounds include 2 large Syrian Sphinx sculptures, wings drawn over their eyes to shut out "the horror of war" and to show that the future is veiled to us, the centerpiece 217 foot tower, and the museums around and under the tower.

Until budget cuts forced the city to stop, the tower emitted steam illuminated by bright orange lights, creating the illusion of a burning pyre.

An elevator and 45 steps takes you to the observation deck of the tower and offers a stunning view of Kansas City and the surrounding countryside.