Sunday, January 09, 2011

Marion Meadows at Blues Alley


Not being a big fan of the saxophone, but with an out-of-state visitor at the time who "really liked" Marion Meadows, we headed for Blues Alley in Georgetown on Saturday, December 4, 2010.

Marion Meadows: smooth jazz tenor and soprano saxophone artist, composer, Berklee educated, and has released 9 albums

But the thrill of the evening wasn't Mr. Meadows, but my rediscovery of the 2nd best drummer I have ever seen, Jabari Kersey. I first saw Jabari with Nick Colionne a few years ago and couldn't find any information about him, but when he stepped out on stage, I was beyond thrilled. Jabari is a drummer with power, finesse, and flash. Wow. You can find him on Facebook.

And it got better. We were sitting stage left and were mesmerized by the keyboardist/pianist Will Brock. Will has chops and mega stage presence. This guy needs to front his own band ASAP! He said, "Soon. Very soon."


Also in Marion's band was bassist Chip "Chocolate Chip" Shearin. Amazing musician.


So, an evening which I expected to be "ok" turned out to be incredible. Gotta love the music scene.