Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Red Sox & City of Palms Park












While in Fort Myers today, I stopped at the City of Palms Park to see about getting game tickets and to check out the gift shop. At that very minute a guide was waiting to take anyone interested on a tour of the stadium. That would be ME!!

Fort Myers in Lee County has been the spring-training home of the Boston Red Sox since 1993, when the team moved from Winter Haven's Chain of Lakes Park. The Red Sox train at City of Palms Park and the Player Development Complex located a short distance away. The first spring-training facility for the Red Sox was Charlottesville, VA, in 1901.

Next year the Red Sox will hold spring-training in their brand new facility located 6 miles from Southwest Florida International Airport (still Fort Myers) which will be a state of the art stadium.
"People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby