Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Carl Allen - Rodney Whitaker Project


Last night I drove to the Kennedy Center to see The Carl Allen-Rodney Whitaker Project. I had met Rodney a number of times in East Lansing, Michigan.......at Wess and Desi Anderson's restaurant, Gumbo & Jazz, on Saturday night jam sessions, and also at a preview lecture Rodney gave before the Wynton Marsalis and Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra concert at the Wharton Center on the MSU campus.

At the conclusion of that lecture he asked for questions, and since I always have some, asked if he believed that fusion should be considered jazz. Mr. Whitaker went into an affirmative lengthy explanation and then said, "Why do you ask that?" I replied that Mr. Marsalis says that fusion has nothing to do with jazz at all. Mr. Whitaker then said, "Well, do you agree with everything your friends say?" He wondered if I had any other questions.....well, yes I did..... "What do you think of the new collaboration record of Wynton's with Willie Nelson?" Mr. Whitaker's reply? "No comment." After the lecture he came up to me and said, "You certainly have a lot of questions, don't you?"

So, I was looking forward to seeing him again! I had also seen Mr. Allen at the TS Monk International Jazz Bass Competition in October when he played with Geoffrey Keezer for the 15 semi-finalists at the Smithsonian in Washington, DC, and again with Christian McBride's Inside Straight at Blues Alley in Georgetown. Pianist Peter Martin introduced us that night.

I wandered up to Mr. Whitaker and Mr. Allen in the KC Jazz Club after the show and introduced myself. Mr. Whitaker said, "I know you from somewhere - you really look familiar." After I explained that we'd met before, he said, "Ahh...yes, I remember now." (oops......)

It was a wonderful show with Xavier Davis on piano (who was at the bar next to me pre-show ordering a gin), Tim Green on alto and soprano sax, and Rodney Jones on guitar. Each of these supporting musicians has an extensive musical background, including performances/tours with Dizzy Gillispie, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Wynton Marsalis, Terrance Blanchard, James Brown, Lena Horne, Betty Carter, Regina Carter, Joe Lovano, Donald Byrd and Russell Malone.