Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The National Archives of Kansas City






link to what's at the National Archives of Kansas City


After touring the Money Museum at the Federal Reserve Bank, I headed to Union Station to park and walk next door to the National Archives of Kansas City. I hadn't been to the Archives in Washington, D. C. yet, so this would be the next best thing.


The Archives is a regional facility that serves as a repository for more than 50,000 cubic feet of historical records dating from the 1820's to the 1990's for the states of Kansas, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Missouri, and South Dakota. The Archives also offers free access to Internet genealogy tools, including ancestry.com.


So it was here that I typed in the name of my great-grandfather, Gottlieb Stiebe, who I knew came to America from Germany. What a treat to find the ship manifest of the Pommerania which sailed from Hamburg, Germany to New York in 1870 on which he and my great-grandmother were passengers!