Today, through the Johnson County Park and Recreation Department, I toured both the Harley-Davidson Production Facility and the Kansas Speedway (with lunch in between at the Legend's Backfire BBQ).
The 358,000 square foot Harley-Davidson Vehicle and Powertrain Operations in Kansas City, Missouri, was built in 1998. The Sportser, Dyna, and V-Rod families of motorcycles are produced from fabrication and finishing through final assembly. From order to delivery takes approximately 14 days, and the actual assembly of the motorcycle takes 55 minutes.
The tour began with an introductory video and then moved to the factory floor where I witnessed a wide range of operations from welding, laser cutting, and frame bending to polishing and assembly. I saw fenders and gas tanks being formed, newly painted frames hanging on the line, and sophisticated robotic welding technology.
The tour center featured displays that showed the various manufacturing and assembly processes. Parts of the factory were off limits today because the 2012 models were being assembled.