A few months ago I read about a book called How Jazz Trumpeters Understand Their Music: 27 Interviews by Thomas R. Erdmann. Although released in January of 2010, the book was already out of print. Used copies could be found on Amazon.com for $100+. Then, while touring the Library of Congress recently, and learning that our national library has copies of every book written......
So Saturday I drove to the Greenbelt Metro and took the train to the L'Enfant Metro station, transferring to Capitol South across the street from the James Madison Building of the Library of Congress. The Madison building is the largest library structure in the world and is one of the 3 largest buildings in Washington, DC. Over the main entrance of the Madison Building is the sculpture Falling Books by Frank Eliscu.
I applied for and received my Library Research card (valid for 2 years), requested the book, and sat for the next 2 hours reading the interviews and making a few copies.