Last Wednesday I bussed into NYC, rode the 1 subway from 28th to Times Square, switched to the 7 to Grand Central, and walked east along 42nd to 1st, and finally north 4 blocks to the United Nations entrance on 46th only to discover that it was "closed for the day."
So.....I walked up 1st to 60th where I saw the tram going to Roosevelt Island. This was exciting because I had read it was closed. There were a couple people in the tram cars, but.....when I got up to the entrance I found that it was still closed.
So....I walked west on 60th to 3rd to have lunch at Serendipity3. This is where John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale enjoyed a frozen hot chocolate in the movie Serendipity.
Next I walked west to 5th Avenue to a Central Park Entrance. The 5 acre Central Park Zoo is located there in the SE corner and is part of a system of 4 zoos and an aquarium managed by the Wildlife Conservancy Society. The zoo opened in the 1860's as a "menagerie," modified in 1934, renovated in the mid-80's, and reopened in 1988. The zoo is home to an indoor rain forest, a leafcutter ant colony, a chilled penguin house, and polar bear pool. The Central Park Zoo also coordinates breeding programs for some endangered species like the red Panda and Tamarin monkey. In 2009 a snow leopard exhibit was opened, making it one of the few zoos to present this rare species to the public.