


My two day New York adventure began with the sold out matinee show Hugh Jackman: Back On Broadway at the Broadhurst Theater. This was was one of the few times I splurged on a seat - first row Mezzanine. Good choice! This was a funny, sexy, heart rending, toetapping, one man extravangza.
The audience screaming started before Jackman even appeared, booming Oh What A Beautiful Morning by Rodgers and Hammerstein offstage. Broadway (and Hugh Jackman) lovers know this tune from Oklahoma! in which Hugh played the part of Curly in the National Theater production in London. Hugh then began telling the story of his success beginning with a shot of himself as an Aussie teenager in gym shorts with skinny legs and knobby knees. Obviously the bench press has helped make him a star.
The clever, self-deprecating and charming patter leads in the Fred Astaire number I Won't Dance followed by Begin The Beguine, Shake Your Booty, and Let Me Sing And I'm Happy. Next was a tribute to the city that has given him an open arms second career I Happen To Like New York.
After intermission an unsuspecting young lady in the box seats was treated to Hugh sitting on her lap as honey-dripping party boy Peter Allen in skintight gold lame', recreating The Boy From Oz singing I Am Not The Boy Next Door (I'll say not!), Between The Moon And New York City, and finally I Go To Rio where he was joined by six chorus girls.
Next up was a tribute to his childhood passions, when he would run home from playing rugby to watch Guys And Dolls on the "telly." Hugh saluted the glorious age of movie musicals with Luck Be A Lady, Gene Kelly's Singing' In The Rain (for which he donned tap shoes), and Stepping Out With My Baby.
Next, he turned serious about the mystery and spirituality of his country by turning the stage over to a captivating group of aborigines who accompanied him on their own instruments, including the native didgeridoo, while the screen behind them turned into a montage of Australian geography and wildlife.
One of the final numbers was a bouncy Bobby Darrin styled Mack The Knife.
From actor to stage star to winner of a Tony award, to hosting the Emmy's (3 times) to hosting the Oscars, Mr. Jackman is overloaded with talent. He will star next in the film adaptation of the musical Les Miserables.