I spent some time last night just thinking about my life and how lucky I am to be doing what I'm doing, and how different life could be, not just for me, but for many of my friends and family. I realized there were not only things I was thankful for, but things I was thankful I didn't have.
Some things I am thankful for and that I have in my life:
friends that are a bonus from failed relationships
I used to think that a failed relationship was just that - a failure. Not so. I count many people in my life as friends I never would have had if it hadn't been for my relationship with their friend, or brother, or bowling partner (!).
my family
So many people I know are "not speaking" to their brothers, or sisters, or children, or grandchildren...what a waste. Although we didn't pick our siblings, we love them for our shared history. It really is an amazing thing when sisters or brothers are also friends. It would be so easy to not be. After all, even though we grew up in the same house with the same parents, our interests are so different. I appreciate my family's interest in my adventures and well -being.
my travels
I've been able to travel and see some amazing cities and have explored their museums and other points of interest. I have traveled to Los Angeles, San Diego, Coronado, LaJolla, Bakersfield, Thousand Oaks, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica, Oklahoma City, Boston, Washington, DC, Annapolis, Fort Myers, Sarasota, Naples, St. Petersburg, Tampa, West Palm Beach, Key West, Oahu, Kauai, St. Maarten, Seattle, Dallas, Houston, Orange, Austin, Galveston, San Antonio, Jamestown, Norfolk, Williamsburg, Memphis, Kansas City, Toronto, Quebec, Charleston, Savannah, St. Simon's Island, St. Louis, and New York City (and more) in the past several years. I love looking back through my photos and reliving the wonderful experiences I have had.
people I have met through my travels
I love talking to people wherever I go. For example, last Saturday while having breakfast (alone) at the Landmarc Restaurant at Columbus Circle, a gal sat down at the next table, and minutes later, we were yakking about Broadway shows and traveling and our plans for future travel. You never know who you are going to meet!
musicians
Through my love and passion for music, I have met some of the most talented and wonderful people from pianists to drummers to guitarists to trumpeters to my favorite bass players. :) And through those musicians I have met countless others. Their talent has brought joy and peace to my life.
living in a free country
'nuf said
On the other hand, there are many things I am so thankful that I do not have: poor health, depression, anger, frustration, poverty, an arranged marriage (ha), and many things that are unfathomable: being a Middle Eastern woman, being a starving child in Africa, being homeless, a victim of domestic violence.....unfortunately, the list could go on and on....
So on this Thanksgiving Day I count myself as one of the luckiest people on Earth. I don't have a lot, but what I do have is absolutely priceless.