


My first trip to NYC after returning to Baltimore on September 5th was a typical "pack it full" 2 days of music, great restaurants, and Broadway.
I disembarked at the 28th and 7th bus stop and hopped on the subway uptown to get tickets for Spider-Man Turn Off The Dark on Broadway. After scoring tickets I crossed the street to Applebee's (yes, of all the great restaurants in NYC I had lunch at Applebee's because I had a gift card, thanks Jody).
Spider-Man's opening was postponed six times and it surpassed the record for preview performances. It is now the most expensive show on Broadway ($65M) and weekly costs for running the show are estimated at over $1M.
The musical is inspired by over 40 years of Marvel comic books and follows the story of teenager Peter Parker, whose unremarkable life is turned upside-down after he is bitten by a genetically altered spider and must learn that with great powers comes great responsibility.
The role of Peter Parker/Spider-Man was played by Reeve Carney, who I saw, with my niece, at Soaring Eagle Casino in Mt. Pleasant opening for blues guitarist phenom Jonny Lang. Also starring were Jennifer Damiano as Mary Jane Watson, and Patrick Page as the Norman Osborn/the Green Goblin. Mr. Page was the real star of the show in my opinion.
With music by Bono and The Edge, the musical is filled with high flying acrobatics and really stunning costumes. During the Spider-Man/Green Goblin aerial fight scene, a cable got tangled on the "Chrysler Building" and the show stopped while techs with 30 foot poles released it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgk4Jqz8bvw video of Reeve and Jennifer at the Tony Awards performing If The World Should End