Friday, September 30, 2011

Picasso To Koons: Artist As Jeweler (Museum of Arts and Design)











Wednesday I took the bus into NYC to see a Broadway show and a music event at the Blue Note. But first I took the subway to Columbus Circle to the Museum of Arts and Design for a jewelry show called Picasso To Koons: Artist As Jeweler.


The Museum of Arts and Design (MAD) is a center for the preservation, study, collection, and display of contemporary handmade objects in a variety of media including clay, glass, metal, fiber, and wood. It was formerly called the American Craft Museum and located on 53rd Street but moved to 2 Columbus Circle in 2008. The museum board and director ordered windows to be added to the 10 story building resembling an H on the front and I on the side much to the disappointment of the architect.


Exceptional and little known works of wearable sculpture were on display by such artistic giants as Pablo Picasso, Louise Nevelson, George Rickey, Alexander Calder, Frank Stella, and Lucio Fontana.


Both the stained glass window and goblet collection were located in the stairwell!