Thursday, September 16, 2010

Wednesday in NYC - The Addams Family












Wednesday morning I boarded the (late) Megabus at 8:50 and headed into the city, hoping to get a re-issued ticket for the Broadway show Promises, Promises. The gentleman at Telecharge assured me I would be able to get a ticket for the matinee, but upon calling, was informed that was not their policy and I would have to submit a letter or email explaining why I wanted the ticket.

(This all came about from the bus fiasco on August 14 when a tire blew and we sat for 3 hours waiting to be rescued. I reached the theater after intermission and the usher told me to contact Telecharge and they would re-issue a ticket. Wrong!)

So after riding the subway from 28th to Times Square I walked to the TKTS booth to see what was 50% off that day. While trying to decide, a young gal asked me about some shows and after talking a bit, we decided to see The Addams Family together. My new pal, Elizabeth, had been visiting her father in the city for the past week. We walked over to the Blue Fin for a pre-show appetizer and then headed to the Lunt-Fontanne Theater on 46th Street.
This 1,505 seat theater was built in 1910 and originally named The Globe after Shakespeare's Theater in England. In 1958, the theater was gutted and rebuilt and renamed in honor of America's foremost husband/wife acting couple, Alfred Funt and Lynn Fontanne, who starred in its first production, The Visit.
The Addams Family musical is based on the iconic characters created by legendary cartoonist Charles Addams, and stars Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth as Gomez and Morticia Addams.