Sunday, February 26, 2012

Greek Fest in Fort Myers































Saturday I drove over to Fort Myers for the 37th Annual Greek Fest sponsored by the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church. The church uses the festival as an opportunity to share the rich tradition of food, dance and religion with the greater Fort Myers area. Their motto is "philoxenia" - our neighbors become our friends.


After enjoying a Greek sampler platter which included pastichio, moussaka and dolmathes along with a Greek salad and spanakopita, I walked around looking at the Greek trinkets for sale. Passing on a belt made of gold coins, I opted for dessert - a bowl of loukoumades. I could have purchased the lamb (pictured above) for $240.00. Yum! Yeia Sas - to your health!


Polly gave me a tour of their beautiful church. I learned that Jesus was born in a cave. Hmmm....that's not what Sister Paul William told me.


The food was tasty, but the dancers, especially the little girls in traditional dress, were adorable.