Sunday, August 21, 2011

Michigan's Au Sable River System

















While camping in northeastern Michigan at Tawas State Park, I took a long drive north to Oscoda, then west to Curtisville, south to Hale, and finally east back to Tawas. Oscoda, located on the shore of Lake Huron, is the end point of the annual Au Sable River Canoe Marathon. Starting 120 miles west in Grayling, the marathon was first held in 1947. It is the longest, non-stop, canoe only race in North America and is so popular that many spectators travel the full 120 miles along with the racers.



The race begins at 9PM in Grayling when the 2 man teams carry their canoes 4 blocks through town to the Au Sable River entry point. From there, they paddle 14-19 hours straight as well as make portages over 6 dams along the race route.










The pictures above show the beautiful Au Sable River and the Alcona Dam, one of 6 operated by Consumers Power Company. Also above is the cabin on 80 acres built by my Dad and Grandpa where I spent many many many weekends. Did I mention I spent many weekends there?