



My 2nd day in Boca began with the movie A Separation. The movie won this year's Oscar for Best Foreign Film. It was one of the most intense and emotionally draining movies I have ever seen and sparked days of discussion. I think that's the sign of a great movie. I'll review it soon in a separate blog post.
After the movie we headed to Mizner Park (4th photo above, downtown Boca Raton) to Max's Grille for lunch, and then walked 2 blocks to the Boca Raton Museum of Art. The museum's permanent collection includes African and West African art, Pre-Columbian art, camera work, 20th century American art, and the Dr. and Mrs. John J. Mayers Collection of Modern Masters including Degas, Picasso, Matisse, Seurat and others.
The museum also featured sculptures by Julio Larraz (Space Station at the courtyard entrance, here a coffeepot stop precariously stacked cups and saucers) and Dorothy Gillespie's Celestial Presence, enamel paint on 350 cut aluminum orbs suspended with monofilament and hanging 25 feet down from the ceiling.